-->

The pre-Christmas Rush

So, I have been blubbering on and on for months now about projects that were in the "wings" waiting to get done. Hooray! They are done! Can't tell you how refreshing that is. Not like all the projects are done....but the really daunting ones are. If only it were warm I would paint my kitchen table. But frost bite just isn't worth it.
Our spare room with old furniture painted and these bamboo sheets I bought our first year of marriage and somehow managed to not throw them out.
Our old entertainment center turned into toy holder book snuggly corner. We just can't seem to find the courage to throw this trusty thing out. Travis's sister gave it to us when we first were married and it has been with us since. We even took the top part we chopped off and stuck it in the garage to hold our snow clothes/shoes/recycling,etc. Travis came home and said, "please tell me we are not keeping that." No comment from me means: "this is not up for discussion unless you want to brawl."
Okay....these were fully a huge pain in my behiiiiind, I would like to say they were worth it but I just can't muster the strength. And Travis's bootie too. It was an old toy box I dug out of the garbage when we lived in oregon. I literally found it the day before they put all our belongings in a moving truck and drove away. So I stuck them in an extra box and pulled them out a few months back and STARTEd the project.
FIRST: remove all hold hardware (horribly long hard process)
SECOND: scrub and sand down surfaces
THIRD: prime all four. The paint on them was dark and I really didn't want them to show through.
FOURTH: tape all four board to prep for spray painting
FIFTH: spray paint border red
SIXTH: retape and paint inside white
SEVENTH: repaint inside because it looks nasty
EIGHTH: take a crayon and do a "rub" pattern of letters so you can cut out the fabric
NINTH: cut out pattern, lay on fabric, cut fabric.
TENTH: modge podge fabric to board
ELEVENTH: {yes I am still writing} Cry to your husband that you can't figure out how to hang four 8 lb board safely in a play room so the kids wont get crushed by knocking it down.
TWELTH: Husband spends an hour drilling holes and wrapping wire to distribute weight and make a proper hanging device on each letter board
THIRTEENTH: hang the daggum boards on the wall and do a celebratory dance!
Lesson learned: I am dumb, If the project is free it is probably going to take you forever, husbands are phenomenal at solving problems.
Shower curtain for the boys bathroom. I told my sister about this color scheme {red and turquoise} for her kid's bathroom when she needed an idea. She called me back and said she was going to do it and during that call I decided I want to do it too. Silly, I convinced her, she convinced me....whuala. If we ever live by each other we are going to have to branch out a little bit.:) That is the ONLY good thing about not living by my sister. I can say "I like your shirt, I want to buy it for me." She goes with me to buy it, I fly out of town and wear my shirt. Fabulous. If I lived next door it would complicate this perfect balance. I wouldn't mind complication though.

I had to take this picture through the mirror's view that is why the B is backwards. Another bathroom pic. The towels are so fabulous. Corbyn hasn't cried once since we have had this towel. He used to cry after every bath because he was cold, but now his towel sits directly over the heater and is toasty warm when he hops out. Lucky dog, I want to steal his big ole bathsheet towel. It looks so cozy. Ty however doesn't care at all. That child will barely be dry and wrestle out of his towel for the victorious naked jaunt through the halls upstairs.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

LOVE all of it! You are a genius! I'm starting a few projects around the house and I feel like a duck out of water... I think it will all turn out OK, I'm just so nervous about these big decisions!

Carrie said...

I love the letters! Even though it sounds like it was a HUGE ordeal making them, they look fabulous. I also love the bright colors on the pillows on the bench!

Unknown said...

SUPER CUTE!!! you're too talented at this stuff for your own good. Trust me, it totally looks worth it! I was thinking of you today, I'm thinking of doing a jewelry project and I needed you to tell me what you get, you are the Queen of accessories my Dear! Oh yeah, you asked where we are right now, we're in Portland area, Eugene and back to FG for last rotation in a month!!

Reed Family said...

Oh my heck! You have been so super busy...and creating such FABULOUS stuff!!! I love Turquoise and Red together too...we sure miss you guys!