Every wonder why someone would look like this?
Or like this?Some people say when they realize they are pregnant: "Oh goodness gracious, we've done it again" some relay worried glances and can only mutter an "uh oh" some jump around and scream "yee haw, wahoo, iyiyiyiyiyi." I don't know if we fit into any of those categories, but I do know it is a reaction we always remember. In this case it is a story we will always remember....cause it's funny. Going to the hospital, talking to the old seasoned naval base doctor who says that no woman should have three accidental miscarriages, no woman who appears to be normal should be having to gamble on the next pregnancy. So he order's tests, turns out the tests really stink, hurt, are gross, and are largely embarassing. But in my back pocket I can't help but pull out the card that says, "cool beans, you find the problem....I'll do the tests." So midway through testing they draw blood for a pregnancy test because they cannot do all the testing if your pregnant. I call later that day to find the results....still not in. Call later, still not in. Call Travis, "Can you access my test results" "yup" "will you pull them up and look to see if we are pregnant or not" "still not up, I will call you when they are up" "k"
A while later I get a call, "your not pregnant" "k...I gotta go (cry cry cry)" Yes we had only been trying for one month, yes I wasn't really anticipating being pregnant. But whether we try for 1 1/2 years or 8 months...I still cry everytime. Being pregnant is miraculous, being um...not pregnant is unmiraculous. So I go about my day. A few days later I stomp my foot, say I am pregnant out loud to Corbyn and Ty and we all drive to the dollar store for a $1 super reliable pregnancy test. Forget the results of the 100% accurate blood test I just had, I am going to put all my faith in a $1 test. I come downstairs to read scriptures the following morning holding it in awe. Not one pink line, but two. I have never seen such a confused Travis. "but the test was negative....I saw it...what if I read it wrong??!!" Guess what, he did read it wrong. He was so scared I was would be mad, and I would have told him I wasn't mad but I couldn't stop laughing. Funny story. End of story, we are pregnant, it wasn't a long road of pain and hurt. It was a very short road. So naturally, based on our history, we assume this baby will miscarry. Then we will have a D and C. Then we will have crazy hormones and imbalances of every shape and sort for 6 months and then we will try again. Bring it on. If the spirit whispers peace and encouragement about adding to your family then what is to fear? We immediately call and get on all of those oh so bittersweet hormone and other sorts of drugs and after my first dose I wonder how I will mother my two boys and feel like an opiate addict. Then the pages unfold. After each ultra sound and doctor visit I somehow am not scared at all. I feel elated, happy, at a complete peace...despite the usual diagnosis. A blood clot, could detach the baby, might cause another miscarriage. But the only option is to wait, so wait we shall. Then the sickness finds it's way to us. We've done it 6 other times, why not do it with a little more faith and persistance this time. We all pray, things work out beautifully. Corbyn can make breakfast and get snacks, and even pats my shoulder when tears take over. Travis it turns out can be a mom and a dad. An impressive feat. And I learn a most valuable lesson. If you don't want to feel depressed and down trodden....get out of bed, shower, pull your hair back and try to do something that day. Whether it be one meal, one load of laundry, or one game of shoots and ladders. Do something. Work fights looming feelings of defeat and chases away the "how's" and the "why's." I am starting to feel better now, only sick from 5 pm on. Praises! The blood clot is still in there, but so is that darling very active kickity kicker. And I can't complain about having to go in and see him do his precious kickity kicks on ultra sound every week. And I really can't complain about being sick, with so much help and support it would be unwise to spread thoughts of doom and gloom. Things couldn't be more blessed and more happy here.
34 comments:
Heather! Wow, what a story! You are an amazing woman! I can't imagine having 3 accidental miscarriages. 1 was more than enough for me. I hope this sweet baby continues to grow strong and what a lucky baby he/she will be to have you for a mom! I hope you get feeling better soon. Thanks for letting us know the good news! My prayers are with you!
Congratulations Heather!!!! Sending prayers your way for a safe and UNeventful pregnancy!!!! Yay.....I'm doing a happy dance for you right now!!!!
You are a SWEET inspiration to me!!! :) Your SWEET baby is VERY LUCKY to have you and Travis for parents!!!
I am so happy for you guys... and sorry you are feeling sick. I can really relate to a lot of your feelings. I think you veiw and appreciate being pregnant in a whole new light when you have experienced losing one... which can make the sickness seem strangly like a blessing. The only thing that could assure me everything was ok was the spirit and I am so grateful for that. I called that period of my pregnancy survival mode because all you can do is survive and hope husband and kids do the same without you! ;) I am truly so happy for you and hope all goes well and that each day and week you feel more peace and hope.
Congratulations and thanks for the inspirational thoughts! I really needed to hear some of that. Work is amazing and you are right that it can change a day!
CONGRATULATIONS!! You are truly amazing. Pregnancy is such a miracle, even when you are sick and cry all day (that is what I feel like, too!). I honestly survive by setting such simple goals for myself: try and shower today, read the kids a book...whatever it may be, it helps to set simple goals and then be able to check it off the list.
I will pray for you and your adorable family and your little miracle :) Love you!
And we are only a few weeks apart. We can go through this together, though we are miles apart :)
Congrats--oh the things we do for those babies! it really is all worth it--i'll be praying for you!
Congrats to you! I am sorry you are not feeling well. Hopefully, it will get better soon!
So exciting! The Lord definitely gave you a fighting and faithful spirit and your two boys are so cute to give you loves and hugs and help. So glad you shared with us, such great news. If I were close I'd take your boys and let you have days off, but I hope you've got good friends there to help do what good friends elsewhere wish they could do. Take care!
YEAH!!!! Congratulations that is so exciting. I loved reading your whole story and could sympathize/understand and yet feel sheer joy for you. Heaven knows you have the cutest boys ever and another one will be so lucky. Congrats again!!!
You've ALWAYS amazed me, and it looks like you've done it again! Heather, you are truly one of the most incredible people ever. Thanks for being such a good example to everyone around you. The world needs more people JUST LIKE YOU! You are in our prayers, and so is that little kickety-kicker! :) Congrats!
Congratulations! What an exciting time! Hope that the sickness goes away quickly! Thank you for sharing your story! You are one strong girl! I think of our days at the nursing department with Carmelita and smile at the fun that we had along with working hard:) I hope each week goes well!
Oh, Heather, you amaze me! Thank you for sharing your story with us and for being such a great example of faith. I had no idea that you've had 3 miscarriages. That is such a hard things to go through. I've had a pattern of miscarriage, baby, miscarriage, baby, all the way to Marcus. It's no fun!
Brian and I have actually been talking about trying again, and I've been scared about following our pattern, but you're right when you say that we just need to trust the Lord and take what he gives us. Thank you for reminding me of that.
I'm praying real hard that your little one makes it through this pregnancy safely and that you'll feel better soon! Congratulations - you're doing great!
I was waiting for this post!! You always put things into such beautiful words and I really admire that about you. You have so many people here like me who would bend over backwards for you and totally take care of you in a heartbeat and I hope you know I will continue to be there for you. I am so happy the baby is still in and that things are looking good right now!! That little baby is so lucky to be going to such amazing and sweet parents as you and Travis!! The Lord blesses us all in so many ways and he is totally blessing you guys right now!!! I love you tons and know I am here for you:)
Congrats! We are so excited for you guys!
That was beautiful, there's a flood at my house now. Wow! A talented photographer and writer = a perfect blog! The advise I can give you is that you should stop calling her a "him", she'll have a complex. Believe me, I have a girl and she is sensitive and emotional, even at this age.
Hi there Heather,
Congratulations! I love reading your posts and all of the exciting happenings in your family's adventures! I hope that all continues to go well with your pregnancy.
Congrats! I thought you said that the thought of having three kids daunts you! ;) Well, like me, it probably STILL daunts you, but you WENT FOR IT ANYWAY! We can do it! I'll keep you in my prayers for that baby to keep kickin'!
WoW! Congratulations. hang in there! You guys are amazing.
You're so great Heather!! You really do have a way of putting things into just the right words. Thanks for being a great example to me in so many ways! We and the rest of the ward were so lucky when you moved in. We are so excited, and will be praying for you guys!!
I am just crying here at my computer with you. You wonderful woman! You continue to inspire me, as you always have. I love you and I am so happy for you!! I am glad you told us, We will be praying for you and your little one:)
Heather - I'm amazed at your ability to always look on the "bright side" of things - you are hilarious the way you describe things! Congrats about the pregnancy - we pray all goes well. What amazing faith to be willing to take things however the Lord sends them. Your family is incredible! Thanks for sharing!
Hooray!!! We are so excited for you guys. I hope everything goes well and you have an UNeventful pregnancy! (Maybe it'll be a little girl you can dote all your unbelievable girly style on!) :)
Jen Reed
Hooray for you and your adorable family! I'm so happy for you and will definitely send some prayers your way for a happy, healthy pregnancy. You are amazing! And you're right, what a difference it makes to get up and do something!
YAY!! I am so excited for you! I hope everything goes great-take it easy!! You are such a go-getter. You amaze me! Maybe you will add a little girl to that family of yours??!!?
Oh, what wonderful news--the being pregnant part, not the being sick part. Congratulations and hugs!
Thank you so much for sharing so much of your experience with us. My heart aches for your previous losses, and hopes that all goes well for this little one. Our prayers are with you. I wish I could come and steal your boys for a little while--my kids would be in heaven and maybe you could get a little rest in!
Oh, I hope that you are feeling alright. And we'll keep praying for you. You're such a trooper, and this baby is so lucky to be coming to your family.
Congrats guys! We're excited for you. Will this mean three kids born in three different states? That's fun! Hope you are filled with feelings of contentment and peace, and all goes well with little baby Taylor. You're not too far off the mormon baby standard timeline, maybe we'll catch up with you one of these days, but we're way off track right now! :)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Congratulations!!! I admire your optimistic attitude about everything. I agree with you - my day goes so much better when I jump up and get going (instead of bemoaning my fate of not getting enough sleep and trying to steal a few more minutes while the kids are going crazy all around me...) ;)
I hope things continue to improve with the sickness, etc. I'm excited for you guys entering the world of 3 kids - you'll be going from man-to-man defense to zone defense, hehe. ;) It's definitely an adventure sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for anything! We will keep you in our prayers!
Congrats to one of my favorite Garden Grover families of all time :) We love you guys! You crack me up, sistah!
Wah0ooo! Heather you are my hero, you are so positive and yet honest about it. Love you lots and I'll be praying that you don't have anything to worry about with this one. hugs!
Yay!! I hope this cute little one stays put and you start feeling better soon! You're amazing, girl. :)
That is great news. We hope and pray everything continues to go well. Good thing being an optometrist doesn't usually involve reading pregnancy test results. :)
Wow Heather, I had no idea this had been such a roller coaster for you. I'm a little out of the loop these days! You are in our prayers! Congratulations
Post a Comment