-->

Preschool schmeschool

So, we have been spending insane amounts of time looking for a good preschool in Illinois.  
I was shocked when I called the public schools and found that it was more expensive than private schools.   And the private schools aren't cheap.  We are talking $400.00 a month.  Hmmmm, should we buy a third care or send our child to a somewhat "non-essential" grade.  Now don't get me wrong, I want him to go to preschool, but when it is averaging at over $4,000 a year we are scratching our heads wondering what to do.  
We found some homeschooling curriculum online that is suddenly seeming like an option and I have never once pondered the idea of homeschool.  Not that I hate it, but I value Corbyn's being influenced by a greater number of people including learning to get along with his peers.  I have always wanted him to start into a preschool at four.  We did it for 1/2 year last fall and he LOVED it.
So, help anyone?  
What would you do, have I looked at all my options?  {community preschools, church affiliated schools, public, day care/preschool, I also called someone who is a member of the church and has helped me and she suggested where all the other women in the ward go...but that was $350.00 a month, and we called the few places we were interesed in about scholarships but it is based on income....which is normally a good thing for us but now it is not too great.  We actually have an income:).  Oh the changes that happen when you graduate school and become "real" people}
Did you send your kids to preschool?  
Corbyn and I do "learning time" so he has a good handle on the things he will be introduced to in preschool...I think I could make that more serious and really get him ready for kindergarten.  I just feel really inadequate as a homeschooler.   It is a huge commitment of time!  It is so intimidating and I don't want to combine our normal disciplining schedule to his school.  You know, "If you don't write that letter "F" then you will loose a priviledge..."  That is so lame, so help me mommies....what do I do?

9 comments:

Terra said...

I'm debating about sending Paul back next year; he's really loved it, but I'm cheap and most places are full. For me it's more about social experience and learning "classroom etiquette." I think we're going to try soccer, swimming, a music class and stuff like that. good luck. and i totally would not spend $400 a month no matter how genius the school is.

Kurt and Kristy said...

I completely feel your pain! We are going through that same thing right now! Our prechools are not $400 (OUCH) but still over $100 and we're just not willing (and can't) pay that. We are getting Kylie into some classes at the local community center. I also will probably take some time out in the morning to do different school activities and do different subjects like music, science, reading, writing, math,etc. Good luck! I too am not thrilled about the "homeschooling" thing either but Im also not willing to spend thousands of dollars! May we both find a solution so we're not going crazy with our energetic, busy, preschoolers!!!

Travis and Heather said...

That is so helpful so far ladies....so you are enrolling them in community type classes. I am with Terra....I want him to learn etiquette and social skills mostly. I can teach him the rest as home {not well, But I think I might be able to do it}.

Alisha said...

You could try doing the Joyschool program. Peter and I are almost done for the Spring and I think that it has really helped him learn his letters and other things that he needs to know. Joy school is bascially a group of moms that get together and rotate turns teaching preschool. We have a letter, a theme( such as spring, bugs, weather, Presidents Day and so on), and a number that we are suppose to teach about. I think that it has been great!

Carley said...

Have you looked into doing a Joy School? I don't know a whole ton about it, but there is an actual curriculum, but its mom run. You just find a few (likr 4-5) other moms who like you want their kid to go to preschool but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it, and you rotate who hosts/teaches. My sister did it for one of her kids and they did it Tuesday and Thurday mornings. So one week a month she was in charge of teaching, and the other 3 weeks she sent him to someone else's house. If you are interested I can get the info from her.

Carley said...

Um, I guess I should read the other comments before I write something LOL.

Cali said...

Isn't there something offered on base? There are two or three different programs offered on base in Twenty Nine Palms that are practically free. I would think that they would have the same options available at all bases.

Also, you can go to http://www.valuesparenting.com/ for information of Joy School--there is an actual curriculum that focuses on values. I did it when I was little and still remember loving it. I'm considering doing this with Collin next year, since we've done his letters and such this year. Anyway, good luck! $400/month is way too much money!

Kyle, Amy, and Joshua said...

That's a lot of $$$$ in my opinion. Wow! I know there are several moms in our ward who do the homeschool preschool thing and rotate houses and do it like 3 times a week. They like it and have curriculum stuff. But, I don't have much experience yet from the mom perspective. Though I worked for preschools for Utah State Univ. stuff before I had Joshua. That was fun. Sorry, I'm really not much help here. Good luck!

Reed Family said...

Hah! I wish you were still gonna be around this next year (and not for your sake...so glad you're DONE), but I'm planning on doing the "JOY SCHOOL" thing this next year cuz we really can't afford preschool either (and it's not even as much $ as out there in Illinois.) Joy School is like $70 for fall and $70 for spring, and you can split that however many ways...depending on how many mom wanna do it! Good luck!