-->

the wOnder of simplicity

So, this holiday season something has been on my mind. Last year was our last "season" as students in all sense of the word. No more living out of boxes if we didn't have a dresser for clothes, no more sleeping on air mattresses for months at a time, no more eating rice and potatoes so that we can have a special treat on the weekend, and no more riding that bike with the trailer as our sole mode of transportation. I am realizing why people say "those were the good ole days." Because those charlie brown Christmas tree's made us laugh, sitting for hours and playing with one train and 10 tracks was totally entertaining, cleaning the entire house in 45 minutes was glorious, and having so much less fluff to occupy our minds enabled lots of sitting, playing, giggling, and family memory making. I can't say that I miss it yet, because we still live a very similar life of rice and potatoes with a hand me down tree....but already distractions are creeping in and simplicity is creeping out.
Random thought over, this day trip reminded me of the before mentioned thought. It felt like I was in a magical place...

Butterflies love the taste of monkey hair. Nummers

The very aware and constantly concerned but infinitely more curious corbyn. Blurry picture but you get the point.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Cam said...

There was something really special about being away for school, I am realizing more and more what a blessing it was for our family. Although- I think we'll struggle more these next few years than we did during our years of school- darn! Gotta start paying back those student loans! And pour a lot of money into equipment and overhead while trying to slowly build a patient base-- I'm sure we'll look back on this fondly as well. :) We hope your family has a wonderful Christmas.

Butler Family said...

How neat you can look back on those memories and cherish everything you have now!! Beautiful pictures. Thanks for reminding us most what we need to be thinking of this Holiday Season

Kim-the-girl said...

Yep. I get it too. Those were special days. Love all the updates! Have a fabulous season!

Ryan + Jess said...

That is so true. Everyone always says appreciate the time you are living in but that is SO HARD because you always think what is coming next is going to be better. But each stage has challenges and benefits, right? We are contemplating heading back to those student days (maybe a graduate degree for hubby) so we may get to experience the simplicity all over again...I just hope I can appreciate it and not get frustrated with it.

Ryan + Jess said...

Oh yeah, what are you guys doing for Christmas?? You aren't, per chance going to be in Utah? Because I will. And I would love to see you! But that is a long trip to make for you...

Brianne Pitts-Wells said...

You are so right! We are definitely guilty of not enjoying the moment and looking toward "when we can afford ..." and really does any of that matter? No.

Cali said...

Life is beautiful, isn't it? Sometimes it takes retrospect to realize it, but really is. Thanks for taking me down memory lane with you--it was wonderful!