Being the new parents that we are . . . raising our very first pancake. . . we thought it would be wonderful, exciting, and perfect to sign Corbyn up for Tee ball.
Is it fun?
Absolutely.
Has it been a learning experience?
Of course.
Does Corbyn love it?
I just asked him and he giggled and said, "I love soccer."
Interesting.
There has been some good, some bad with the whole circus. We all love going to his games and practices. Bent forward laughter is the predominant emotion. Ty has a large mound of red dirt to play on, and Travis tries not to get frustrated when Corbyn is running the bases and decides to grab the ball and hand it to the out-field to help them out.
The bad? It is really busy.
Who knew a 4 year old sport could take over your schedule and life?
It can, and it has.
That is learning experience #1.
Now, learning experience #2 came two games ago when we played a team that viewed T ball a little bit differently than I do.
Tee ball is supposed to be fun?
Fuggetaboutit.
It's about crushing the other four year olds!
Their team: During warm up, lots of yelling, during the game, lots of yelling.
Oops, first base-boy dropped the ball-what do we do? We move him way out to outfield and put our star player on first base.
Oops we got your runner out, ha ha-go sit on the bench.
{I sat there my jaw gaping open, I was absolutely shocked at how things were going. You DON'T send small babies back to sit on the bench if they get "out" in tee-ball. You cheer them on, you tell them what a tremendous job they are doing, you high five them until their hands hurt.}
While all this was happening our team supporters started to change their cheering toon. Instead of just cheering for our boys and praising the other team (what usually happens), they began yelling to throw the ball faster, "Get the ball to first" "Get that kid out" "Yay, you got him out, ha ha." I shot Travis the nastiest look I could muster and held my lecture in. Then I marched over to Corbyn and told him to hit that daggum ball as hard as he could and RUN! Or they would get him out and it wouldn't be pleasant. I almost had a heart attack when he was up to bat. I think he was nervous, he hit the tee ball stand over at least 10 times before barely hitting it off the stand and running like a maniac to first base. Phew, he made it.
Who knew such an innocent sport could turn so ugly.
Our last game was in stark contrast to this experience. Everyone was high fiving, everyone was cheering for their boys and the other team. The kids were smiling, the kids were doing well, the KIDS WERE HAVING FUN! Isn't that the point?
Learn a skill
Learn team work
HAVE FUN.
Well, I am glad our coach doesn't yell, I am glad our coach kinda reminds me of my dad, I am glad no one has hit him in the head with the bat during the practice swing, and I am glad that when the kids doggie pile on top of the ball he smiles a big goofy smile and lets them work it out.
So...learning experience number 2: don't be mean to four year olds
or
just because the coach in the big red jersey says it's okay to yell and be-little doesn't mean it is
or
It is what it is, so you gotta do what you gotta do.





6 comments:
Sports should be fun and not be about winning at that age or dare I say any age! Thanks for the wonderful insight about not getting carried away!
I agree that any sport should be fun and you should always be supportive no matter what the circumstance is!!! Thanks for the great post:)
That's horrible that anyone would be so wrapped up in coaching that they forget what is really going on. Hello! These kids are just starting out! I'm glad that has only happened for the one game. Corbyn looks like a pro!
First of all, Corbyn looks AWESOME! How fun for him! Secondly, how sad for that other team to be competitive at this age. I realize that there is a place for competitiveness in sports, but 4 year old TBall is not that place. Third, I want to say that I love your playlist, I keep your blog up sometimes just so I can hear the happy tunes. Thanks for the fun posts today!
That is so funny! I loved reading that little story. The pictures are also really amazing and so cool!
We've been having similar experiences over here--and I was in no way prepared for how much of a time crunch it would put in our schedules!
Oh, I loved these pictures--you are amazing. Amazing. I wish you could take pictures of my kiddos for me.
Post a Comment