Labor is an interesting thing. Doesn't it start so long before the actual day?
Loving people lighten the load by taking your babies and loving them....caring for them....dealing with their crazy....running them to their bus stop.....putting them to bed. Ahhh, what bliss it was to know that they were cared for while we were gone.
We went to the hospital 6 am feeling ridiculously giddy. Strange to feel giddy and not nervous. We got there at 6 am- blood drawn, IV in, pretty gown all by 7 am. The nurse had to poke a couple times to draw blood....you should have seen Travis quizzing her and pestering her as to why the first two pokes were unsuccessful.
Beware nurses-he is watching your every move.
I was dialated to a 4 upon arrival and our most splendid nurse said we needed to have a baby by 3 pm when her shift ended. I agreed but told her it was a fat chance.
ME-NO-HAVE-QUICK-LABOR'S.
The pit was a fabulous sensation. The contractions were hard and every few minutes. I was thrilled to know that this time the contractions would yield baby.
And I think I went to the bathroom more than 10 times in a few hours.
And one of the nurses thought that if you took too long to go potty she should come in and help. She was real fun.
Anyhew...
We watched West Wing-an old school tv series we like and I knitted a hat for Jay while they progressed. Right when the contractions started to pick up an episode came on in which the press secretary had a root canal and her mouth was numb and she was trying to talk about very serious white house matters such as bweefing (briefing) da(the) pwesident (president). I could not stop laughing and that really made the contractions hurt. The show had to go off, it was business time.
Just then some imaginary person flipped an imaginary switch and I had the most incredible contraction ever....followed by another....and another. This was 11:30ish. We asked for an epidural. He was there and amazing in all areas and for the first time my epidural was not traumatic to get in and it worked! Hot dog. Okay, the epidural was in but I could feel that baby and he was chomping at the bit. The nurse said we were a 8 and he was coming fast. The contractions were fast and productive and at 12:15 I went to roll onto my back and POP-my water broke. I looked at Travis and said, "Uh, I'm real wet....my water just broke." They checked-we were at a 9. I could feel the baby and I told the nurse I was going to push once I was a 10 (none of this "try not to push" garbage) so someone should be here to catch him. At this point Travis is laughingly giddy hunting for our video camera which he couldn't find because it was "behind something."
Of course it was sweetie.
I couldn't believe I was almost a 10.
Timeout.
It wasn't the middle of the night nor had I been laboring for 14 hours. Um, being induced is the bomb.
The rest was bliss. As the doctor was dressing and just felt waves of excitement, appreciation, love, and such a thrill that I was a woman, that my body could do this. That I could be a part of such a tender moment....a life entering his mortal probation, coming to our family to live out his days-to prove himself to The Father. Even before I started to push I was crying.
I pushed through 3 contractions and there he was-12:50 a perfect sweet baby. Ahhh, they laid him on my chest and I just closed my eyes trying to take it all in-a memory tied with a perfect ribbon to stick in my pocket forever.
So, it was heaven on earth. Great nurses, great support, actually being excited for pain, a splendid doctor, and a beatiful baby Jay.
All in a day's work
18 comments:
First and foremost, Heather was amazing. Second, she did hide the camera... but I love her.
-Travis
Awesome birth experience. I want to see more baby pictures though!
That is such a sweet story. YOu made me really excited. I loved your outlook and your last line of soaking it in...you had a picture that said it all. I agree with Terra, more pictures please!
Wow sounds like it was a breeze! Glad to hear it. Glad he is here safe and sound and hope you both are doing very well.
I'm so glad it went well...and was short! Lucky! Jay is adorable! CONGRATULATIONS a MillIOn TiMEs!!!!!
Congratulations guys!!! Glad everything went so well! And I agree - being induced is the bomb. ;)
You are so positive and upbeat! Love your version!
That sounds like the most perfect labor and delivery anyone could ask for! I am so, so glad it went well-and that it wasn't 14 hours to boot! Welcome to this world Jay! You are so lucky to have the parents you have!
That sounds just like my induced delivery with Mia! So wonderful...
Thanks for sharing! And post more PICTURES!! Pretty please??
You. Are. Awesome mama! Way to go!
Having a great labor makes you feel like you could go through it again. I'm glad it went so well for you!
I loved reading this. I love your point of view. I love YOU! Congratulations on a beautiful baby, delivery, and more mama experiences.
Oh, with all your "free time" could you email me your address one of these days?
ok, seriously well written! I just love your blog entries. Though we haven't met in person, I feel we would make great friends and you would keep me laughing and enjoy life's hardest moments. What a woman you are! Love to your beautiful growing family and congratulations! - Amber (Travis's friend from good ol' MVHS)
I'm so glad that it was such a good experience for you. You are amazing.
Well done! I think if I could have v-births, I would hire you as my midwife! You could coach anyone through anything! I am so incredibly Happy for you! Is he really one week old today? no... make him stay little!
So glad everything went well! Can't wait to see more pictures of him!
Aw! I'm so happy for you!!!
What a grate Mom and son Jay looks like someone... Heather you so grate and I am still not sure about the name yet. The Chicago trip will last for a long time. What a day! Five boys and two grate Ladies.Ti has it right we need to be BIG boys now..GGP
We love all GP
Post a Comment