Hey guess what happened.....
I changed my background and my whole blog reel was deleted. That's super cool. And it really does make perfect sense why that would happen.
Wait....
No.
It doesn't.
Dear Blogger,
You are a weirdo. And now I have to find all those old blog addresses who knows where and add them back in so I can see my friends and their beautiful families doing beautiful things. Your super rude.
From: me.
So to the help part. If your thinking that you don't have anything to offer then you should read the post below, go to you tube, watch the movie, then come back and tell me what to do. It will inspire you. Ready? Well go already.
O.K.
Help me
My six year old wants to cook suddenly. All the time. Every meal. So I have let him -- thinking that supporting initiative to be self sufficient is what I'm all about man! At 19 your getting a boot in your bum and out you go son....so you'd better be ready.
It has been an absolute circus in my kitchen. Every single time something disastrous happens. Bless his heart he has butter fingers and all sorts of other buttery flailing extremities.
Tell me what you'd do. Do you continue the clean up crew, do you kick him out of the kitchen, can you really apply consequences for an accident?
I would love some insight. I have begun to really want to cry while I am on the floor mopping up the most recent of spillages.
Yesterday Jay decided to join in and threw his bowl of cottage cheese. That child will never be given cottage cheese by me again. As I was cleaning it he reached down and whacked my head.....ew. He thought it was pretty funny. I will decline to comment on my feelings. Then I get to the other side of his chair and he reaches down with the other hand and whack. More nasty cheese curd on my head. What is it with my kids and my head. My head takes so long to clean up. Can't you choose my shirt or pants. . . something removable?
I am spending waaaaay to much one on one time with my kitchen floor.
What should I do?
For the very near future my {poor}sweet wonderful angel Mother in Law is taking over the arsenal for me while we go check out a prospective practice. . . HOLY COW! We are officially big kids I think!
I am supposed to write a letter for said mother in law and tell her what my kids eat and their schedules and such. I feel like writing:
Dear Haley,
Good luck.
14 comments:
Aaaawwww, motherhood of young children......gotta love 'em!!!
I think your letter to your MIL is perfect.....sometimes that's all that can be said, hahaha!! :)
That is awesome you guys can have some time to see about a job for travis and that your MIL is gonna watch the kids.
In the world of perfect motherhood you should suck it up and let him cook with you. But I know how you are feeling and how much you value your relationship with your right-hand-man, so maybe try picking 2-3 days per week that he can help you cook and pick something simple gosh darn it, at least until he can do more clean up on his own. Audrey always helps me cook and even ate raw meatloaf once. But some days I just have to shoo her out, despite her tantrum and my guilt.
Terra...I am still laughing about the raw meatloaf. I LOVE your idea. It is better than now when we kneel for morning prayer and I have to say sorry for being mad about cottage cheese .....lame.
I agree with Terra...You could let him help plan the menu for the week. I would only let him do one or two since I have three little helpers that would want a turn as well.
There is something magnectic about the head and hair! Maybe thats why they use to wear bonnets and head covers in the pioneer days!!
My boys also love to cook. Ethan even loves doing the dishes, which I try to encourage so that maybe someday he'll be a good husband in helping with the dishes, but every time he does the dishes, he doesn't want my help, and we end up with water all over the floor. I feel your pain.
So I tell my boys that I'm the main chef and they are the sous-chefs, or in other words, my helpers. Even then, though, there are times when I have to say that it's my turn in the kitchen. I like Terra's idea to give them certain nights to help cook. Maybe even let them pick the menu for those nights?
My kids have each been assigned a night to help with dinner (not currently, but once upon a time). They know that I am still in charge and they help with what I say they help with. They do get to help choose the menu, but its always something easy if they are really helping. Its great to build confidence and skills in our kids, but it backfired on us when Jonas was sure he knew how to do scrambled eggs (which he does, with supervision) and decided to cook them one morning while mom and dad were in bed... Jonas' screams of "FIRE! There's a fire in the KITCHEN!" got us out real quick let me tell you!
Anyway, good luck. Boundaries are good, even with good things.
Heather, I love you! I know I don't comment a lot, but I read often, and I almost always leave your blog with a smile on my face and a laugh on my lips. For that, I thank you. You help me get through my crazy motherhood days. I think your note to your mother-in-law is perfect. :)
I almost laughed out loud when you relayed your Jay incident - that happens to me daily with my little Sophi. I guess I am the dumb one who keeps giving her cottage cheese though.
I would continue letting Corbyn help but allow him to also do the clean up. Our blog is boothbulletin.blogspot.com
Good luck on your trip!!!
I never comment on here, but I have been in your shoes and had all my friends blogs deleted before. And who knows if you ever check my blog anyway, right? (Although you will now, I'm sure!) I was friends with Travis in HS and it blows me away at how much your oldest looks like him! Craziness.
Anyway, about the 6 year old in the kitchen. I am at a loss. Whenever my (nearly) 5 year old and 2 year old help out, a huge mess happens. Which makes me grumpy, like you, and I end up kicking them out of my kitchen. Probably now what you want to hear. So when you come up with a solution...let me know?
Well I am out of advice, although I think Terra is spot on. Maybe just try sandwiches for a while... LOVE you and soooo Happy for this job prospect!
To all you marvelous people. Thank you!
Didn't see this one till today and had to read two posts to get all caught up! I don't really have any advice, but Terra sounds like she knows to me. I'm just going to have to take advice from you with this one. Good luck with the practice!!! That's so great!
Lame on the blog being deleted part. Jane (2) asked to help me make dinner the other night. I replied with "you can help by not helping". :) I'm a mean mom.
Post a Comment