-->

GREAT LAKES, ILLINOIS

The verdict is in....

wE are off to gReat lAkes, Illinois
rAndom things we have learned about Illinois since our discovered Naval assignment:

Oprah here we come.  I don't even watch Oprah, but if i had a TV I would. I will have to go to an Oprah show, and I got a promise for a visit from a certain someone if I can get some tickets.

The weather in great lakes is identical to REXBURG, IDerho.  So, it is painfully cold, with one big bonus.  A ton of humidity in the summer{dId I say that was a bonus??}.  I am going to look like a fluffy cat.  Yuck, I hate cats.

aNd yes, the Chicago Cubs are still not terrific.  wE will have to go see "da bear's" instead, they don't stink.

tHe temple is only 30-40 minutes from the base.  Out of all the options the navy gave us, this base has the closest temple.   Hooray for that!!  If we had been stationed in Florida the temple was 5 1/2 hours away.  That would be one crazy babysitting day for some poor friend.

Was Great LAkes our 1st choice??  Nope.  Were we surprised and some what disappointed....yup.  But over the last week a lot has transpired and we gratefully accept our assignement and have felt the truth of the words in this inspired HYmn: 
 {"I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, 
Over mountain or plain or sea,
I'll say what you want me to say dear LOrd,
i'LL be what YOU want me tO bE!"}

{"so trusting my all to thy tender care, 
and knowing thou lovest me.
I'll do thy will with a heart sincere,
I'll be what you want me to be."} 

16 comments:

McArthur Family said...

Wait you guys are in the Navy? We are in the Army...well, Doug is. Did you guys do the HPSP scholarship where the military pays for school and you owe them time? That's what we are on. How did you go about putting in requests to be stationed. I know it might be different since we are Army and going Dental, but it always could be helpful. We will be doing that next year.

By the way, this is Amber, Travis's high school friend.

Becky said...

Yah for the military, funny how they know where Heavenly Father wants us to be. Most of the time, we actually really like the Army and you are going to get to meet some awesome people (even if you aren't army, ha ha)

Kyle and Tiffany said...

Good luck in Illinois! They are so lucky to be getting your cute little family.

Terra said...

Sounds like an adventure. Jeremy is a big cubs fan and I promised him a game one of these days, so maybe we'll get to visit. Good luck!

kyle.mcgarry said...

Just so you know, we miss the Taylors. Give a shout out to Travis for me. Navy? Cool. I would never have guessed. Heather, your blogs are great. Keep up the good work. You definitely have talent. Take care and enjoy Illinios.
Kyle

Ryan + Jess said...

Wow...Illinois!! when do you leave? That is a little further away and a little harder to visit you than Oregon. But what a fun adventure for you!! How long will you be stationed there? And when you get tickets to Oprah (preferably a BIG giveaway show) let me know and I will be on the next plane out there :)

Carley said...

Good luck! I'm sure Illinois will be great! There are much worse options, trust me. I'm just sorry that you aren't going back to San Diego.

Parrish Family said...

I am excited for you guys to be done with school and off to start a new life. School seems like a distant memory already. I am so glad for blogs to be able to keep up with dear friends. Good luck guys! love ya!

Kim-the-girl said...

Everyone I know who has been to Chicago has loved it! In fact, it has made me really want to visit. Amen, to Becky's comment about amazing people... they are a special stock in the military! One thing I've learned through all my moving is that you CAN definitely enjoy wherever you end up, its all up to you! Good luck!

Candace and Brian said...

You guys always seem to be on an adventure and do well no matter where you live. I'm excited for you. Good luck!

Shaillé said...

Sorry you guys didn't get quite what you wanted! I have a feeling we will be learning the meaning of that song as well in a few weeks. Casey's dad grew up in Illinois and he turned out all right, haha. ;)

You'll have to go to some Church history sites while you're in the area. And that's really nice that a temple is so close!

Seth and Sierra said...

How exciting! I'm sorry you didn't get to go where you wanted. I know how that is from Seth's summer job...That's quite a ways away, but I'm sure all of you will be fine. Also, with your Rexburg experience, you're better prepared! :) Seth and I would love to go to Nauvoo and other church history sites. When we go, if you're still there, we'll come say hi! I'm sure you don't really like to talk about leaving, but what day are you leaving? Let me know if you'd like to get rid of some stuff or need help moving! Seth's really good with moving the big stuff :)

Stephanie said...

Wow, I didn't realize that you guys were doing Navy. How long are you guys going to have to serve time :)? Good luck with that! How is everything else going for you guys?

Hanni said...

That's exciting to know where you are going. I hope it is wonderful. I'm glad you guys got all settled in. It's weird to have one more family gone, but we'll see you at graduation.

Cam said...

How nice that you finally know where you are going and can get used to the idea, and have some kind of plan in mind! I loved your photo blog, bytheway, you take great pictures! You're so creative.

Pebley Family said...

Congrats-I've be checking your blog to see where you were headed. Sounds exciting.