"Invitation Sunday is next week, by direction of the Stake Presidency we are to reach out to our friends and neighbor's and invite them to our meetings."
This is the announcement our dear sweet counselor makes over the pulpit on Sunday.
I look around the chapel and watch people start to squirm.
Amen, I was squirming too.
You know why?
Because last invitation Sunday we went out to friends and neighbor's and invited people. We got the "no way, your insane to think we'd accept" response. But we also had a great response.
The thought of doing it again made me nervous but I half heartedly committed to inviting at least one person. I didn't know who yet, but I would invite someone.
I felt the spirit oh so gently prodding me to action. While my committment was half hearted I knew I would find someone to invite, and I would invite them. End of story.
After church I asked Corbyn who he wanted to invite and he immediately responded
Mrs. Winiger (school teacher)
Ms. McCall (bus driver)
The next day we meant to send him two invites, only one made it in the backpack.
He came home, he still had one invite.
"Did you forget to give it to Mrs. Winiger."
"No, I didn't forget, it was scary, so I didn't."
"Can I get an AMEN on that one!"
We talked all about it being scary, we talked about prayer, we talked about courage and we talked about why we go through the fear to share the gospel-because IT IS TRUE and it makes us happy. Do we need a better reason?
Next day, he climbs the stairs on the bus. He stops the whole line of kids while he fishes in his pocket for an invite. He finds it and hands it to her with a big grin. Has a 10 second conversation which I could not hear and takes his seat. I could feel his little smile warm my heart through that bus window.
I wanted to do a back flip, but I didn't want to hurt myself
. . .so I did a kirate kick of joy standing in my garage. . . geez. . . if my 5 year old can do the I need to get on it.
Then I really felt sheepish when he came home having given one to his teacher as well.
I still couldn't think of who to invite. We had exhausted all obvious person's last invitation Sunday.
So I asked my missionary for advice
Without looking up from his playing he said, "invite the mail lady."
So I did
We'll see what happens
"I like to refer to missionary efforts as sharing the gospel. The word sharing affirms that we have something extraordinarily valuable and desire to share it with others for their benefit and blessing"
Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Ty didn't want to be left out.



11 comments:
I've never heard of an invitation Sunday, sounds like a good idea, especially if a lot of thought is put into the speakers and the messages that are shared.
Even though we're in Utah, there are still a lot of missionary opportunities in our neighborhood. It makes me nervous too, but I'm trying. I'm sure you're much better at it than me!
Good luck!
Wow, that is so amazing! You are such a great mom and have taught your boys so well!
Wow that is AWESOME. Way to go Corbyn. Your kids are such sweet sweet spirits
I gave a pass-along card to the crossing guard at Lewis' school...I was SO NERVOUS before I did it, then felt that sweet peaceful feeling afterwards. :) I thought maybe she'd give it back to me in the afternoon, but nope! We'll see what happens!!
Both you and Corbyn are amazing! Way to go! We're having invitation Sunday this week, too, and I didn't even think of inviting someone. The actually thought that crossed my mind was, "Well, if I knew anyone to invite, I would." But you guys put thought into it, and go out and do. I hope your invitees show up and enjoy themselves!
Ack! that would be scary. We are just encouraged to get to know our neighbors. I know our immediate neighbors, but that's about it.
So sweet and inspiring :)
Bryant's baptism is next week and we're inviting some people (teacher and friends) that aren't LDS... I'm a little nervous that they'll actually show up and what the speakers might say! What a good example you both are to the rest of us!
AWESOME!! good work Momma! He's learning it all from you, so really he didn't show you up, it's a testament to how awesome you are too!
That is awesome! Good work Korbyn! Yet another reason why we are commanded to "become as little children!" What a sweet memory for all of you. Let us know if they show up!
Sorry Corbyn- I spelled your name wrong! Won't let it happen again...:)
Post a Comment