Oh what an emotional, exciting, terrifying, reuniting adventure this trip has been thus far.
There have been tears, laughter, more tears, tantrums, more tears, reminiscing, and yes. More tears. Do not menstruate when you move. It is inopportune timing when you consider the variables in this vast undertaking.
I wish you could see my baby having climbed up Grandma Tami's desk right now. He is perched on his hind legs and squatted down trying to open her burnt orange permanent marker. It is really quite darling. And unsafe.
This trip has been the full circle of the good and the difficult. God has been ever near. He is around every corner and offers his sweet embrace to comfort every time I seek it. I wanted to cry our first night in the hotel. I was so tired. Oh so terribly tired. I wandered down the hall after our key did not work twice thinking to myself that just a little cry might help. So I let the tears come as I shuffled past curious on lookers. I didn't so much care about much that night except getting the kids and myself to sleep. The tears just dribbled down, I didn't have to work very hard to let all the sadness drip out in them, it just did.
The next day was so sunny, energizing, encouraging and lovely. We finally finished up driving through the endless state of Nebraska, zipped through Wyoming and landed gratefully in Utah. We dropped our Mae Mae off to her home and stopped by Nanny and Papa's and Auntie Tess. Perfection. Absolutely rejuvenating to see welcoming loving faces even if we were dirty and slightly smelly. The good. The oh so fruitful good.
My mom has breast cancer.
My mover's call to change our drop off date and the chaos ensues.
The bad.
The oh so difficult bad.
This morning my sweet sick little boy was curled up on his air mattress watching Matt and Mandy comics from the friend online. The Dad in the comic says something to the effect of, "Being an adult is hard sometimes, but there is always good with bad." Truly an inspired sermon Matt and Mandy author. What truer words could I have heard at that moment? This trip has been so lovely and so hard.
This is gospel. This is the way of it. There was Christ’s death which opened the doors for the miracle of the resurrection. There was the Garden of Gethsemane followed by eternal reward.
I may be near exhaustion in some moments...but my dear sweet Dad irons patches on my Ty's church pants just because without saying a word. I may cry because the moving people expect me to receive my household goods the next day 2 states away, but my Sister plays with the kids while the many phone calls ensue. I'm seeing the pattern. I'm getting it.
I've decided moving invites an abnormally large amount of hard into my life. But I've also decided that when I open my eyes the good is there as it's equal, it's sister, it's constant companion.
If I want to enjoy all the beauties, excitement, and new avenues Oregon is offering my family I've gotta get there. Then I’ve got to unpack. Then I’ve got to put some gas in the ole can and get us settled.
I can tell you there is no substitute for the warm embrace of my Travis....but my sweet dear Dad is a very very close second. I'm fairly certain I'd be dead in the ditch somewhere without these two beautiful men. I have determined I love men so much because they solve problems. They don’t complain about them, they don’t blame it on other people, they don’t dwell, they fix. I love fixers. My Dad saw my grumpy baby so he took him outside to play in the hose: fix. He saw the hole my son ripped in his shirt while playing and patched it: fix. He saw my tired worn out self and took my kids to the pet store and out to icecream: fix.
MEN ARE SO AWESOME BECAUSE THEY FIX THINGS!
Perhaps they can’t cook and clean (love you dear), but they sure can fix things and make us feel better with 2 or 3 words.
Love you
You got it
Your doin fine
Keep goin
This my friends is why God has sent me three sons, a husband I miss terribly right now
and a practically perfect Dad.
I have a lot of fixin’ to be done.
16 comments:
Beautiful thoughts...thank you so much for sharing! I think that I needed these today!
This reminds me of a R.S. (or was it Sunday School?) lesson you gave when we were in your ward. You said a way you support Travis in his calling as E.Q. pres. was to sometimes do the little things at home, like changing a light bulb was the example you gave, so when he's home he can focus on other things. I think men are incredible for doing the fixings! I can try to fix something for hours and it will take my husband like 5 seconds. If good and bad are twins, so are Bob the Builder and Sally the Wrecker. Best of luck in your cross country pursuit. You'll make it there before you know it and feel at home
I'm sorry that it has been a rough go with this move. I am terribly sorry to hear about your mom. My thoughts, prayers and hugs are with you *can you feel it?!?* You will make it! You can do it!
Oh Heather, what a sweet post. You are so good at seeing the good with the bad and that is so inspiring. I hope the rest of your adventure goes well. Moving is hard. It's physically and emotionally exhausting. God bless you.
Oh Heather. Moving is SO SO SO hard. So hard. But so many blessings can come from being brave. Just keep going. You'll make it. Don't get discouraged.
I love men, too. I was thinking that today too. Men are so awesome.
Wow, lots of changes to deal with at one time. You are a woman of great faith and I admire that.
I'm giving a talk this Father's Day in church and was wondering if I could share your words on how father's "fix" things?
Love to your family,
Amber
Love this post and love you. Lots to deal with, happy that you have some family to help you through it. Praying for you and your family and your mom. :)
Needed this today. Sorry for the bad parts. Love the part about how men are fixers. Love you. Good luck with this new adventure! Thanks for the beautiful post. Praying for your mom.
My thoughts are with you and your mom and this big adventure you guys are on, a serious rollercoaster. All our well wishes.
Love you dear Heather. Hugs from me to you!
seems like life has been tough for you guys lately but I LOVE how you see the best in every situation and that is really wonderful. I am sorry to hear the news about your mom she is in my thoughts and prayers and I really hope that things start looking up for you and your family. We think about you guys often!!
Haven't had Internet, anytime your just needing to quote my sobbing I can't deny you that joy;)
Heather - I truly love your blog. I feel close to your family, I love your honesty and candor...it is just amazing. Thank you for sharing these moments in your life.
Love, hugs, and prayers to you, Travis, the boys, and your family.
Lindsay and Pat
I haven't done much blogging lately, so I just stopped by this post today. Sorry things were so hard! I hope you guys are getting settled in now. I hear ya on all the hard parts about moving (and then the extra things you had to deal with as well). We've been here two months and I'm just finally starting to feel settled. But it's worth it in the end right? ;) Where in Oregon are you guys?
The blessed city of Salem. So grateful we love it.....cause we are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Yay - glad you love it!! Hope Travis's new practice is going well!
Post a Comment